Friday, October 1, 2010

The walk to mi escuela

Every weekday I walk about 3/4 of a mile from my apartment to my Spanish language school. I take different routes everyday and it's a delight to discover what's around the next corner. Here are some favorites...

I start my daily walk down these three flights of stairs in my apartment building. I do worry about taking a tumble since I am usually running late.


 Not so much greenery in my barrio (neighborhood), but this gentleman is out every weekend mowing and pruning this tiny plot of vegetation located just across the street and a few doors down from my building. Such dedication.


 This is the Supermercado that has scary dairy and questionable meat products. I steer clear of those. I do buy my 6-liter jug of water from here every week because it's my closest market. Six-liters is heavy so you gotta buy close to home. I have several other nicer grocers in the area to choose from when I need to stock up on provisions. 

  
Right across the street from the scary market is Iglesia de San Juan Bautiste. It's a beautiful structure. Devout Argentines cross themselves as they pass churches. Being a recovering Catholic myself, I find that amusing to watch.
  
 I risk life and limb everyday by crossing the infamous Avenida 9 de Julio. It is one of the widest streets in the world.


 If you count Lima and Bernardo de Irgoyen, the streets that flank it on either side, 9 de Julio is 20 lanes wide. On several occasions I've meant to count myself, but I always get distracted. I will try again tomorrow. 


Three medians help keep pedestrians safe from the insane amount of traffic coming from all directions. I am only able to make it 3/4 of the way across in one go. I am going to try to get all the way across some day. I did watch a man make in one light, but he was sprinting. (This median probably had grass in its better days.)


When you are standing in the middle of the chaos whizzing by, you can calmly enjoy a great view of the Obelisk. And get an update of the traffic up ahead.


Or enjoy this statue of Don Quixote near the corner of Avenida de Mayo.


The architecture in Baires is reminiscent of Paris. Lots of wrought iron and stone detail.

If you don't look up once in a while, you miss some of the most gorgeous parts of the city.


Unfortunately, you also have to spend a lot of time looking down. Walking is hazardous in this town. You may survive 9 de Julio only to get gobbled up by a hole in the sidewalk. As careful as I try to be, I stumble almost everyday and worry about twisting an ankle. Not a pretty fate for a tanguera.


If I take the route down Avenida de Mayo on a clear day, I get an amazing view of El Congreso.

  
 I just find it funny that they have a place called Wini Dogs. This is one place I will not be eating at.


Next to the entrance of my school is this painted plaque. I think it says, "On this site stands the house in which Carlos Gardel lived in Buenos Aires from 1893-1900." (To my Castellano speaking friends, feel free to correct my translation.) This a happy coincidence; Gardel is sort of the patron saint of tango.

This is Rolando, the school's cheery doorman. He greets me every morning with this bright smile when I arrive and bids me "Ciao" when I leave.

2 comments:

  1. That road is crazy! I can't believe its that wide! Thank you for posting pics! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! Post some of you in some of those places! Keep educating all of us not so brave ones still in the US so we can be there vicariously through you......

    Laura

    ReplyDelete